HeadStart Program Aide
Great Northwest Education Cooperative Head Start is seeking candidates for a dependable full time
Program Aide. This is an eight (8) hour/day 40 hours per week position with benefits, working on site
Monday – Friday, 7:45 am to 4:45 pm.
Program Aides are generalists, responsible for providing educational, relational, and social experiences
for preschool-aged children to foster growth and development in all developmental domains. This
position reports to the Education Manager or Program Director and works alongside the Teacher and/or
Assistant Teacher. This position assists with daily classroom management and other duties and may be
assigned to other classrooms/centers as deemed necessary for program operations.
As a frontline representative of Great Northwest, Program Aides are required to ensure the safety and
security of children and families that he/she comes into contact with and adhere to the agency’s values
• Application of clear practice and procedures in day-to-day execution of job.
• Organize self and manage time to accomplish tasks.
• Keep manager informed of important issues.
• Build effective
relationships within workgroup and with children/families.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and
• Assist classroom staff in all classroom activities.
• Assist the Teacher or Assistant
Teacher in any aspect of the program as needs arise (e.g., at Family Nights, copying newsletters, cutting
out classroom materials, making phone calls, etc.).
• Serve as a temporary substitute in the periodic absence of the Assistant Teacher or Teacher.
• Provide custodial support as needed; this could include but is not limited to: picking up trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming or using industrial cleaning equipment to clean floors, clean and stock bathrooms, and ensure buildings are secure.
• May serve as custodian in the absence of the regular custodian on a periodic basis.
• Complete routine kitchen/dining room/food chores as assigned • Participate in food service clean up • Substitute for regular Cook or Assistant Cook as needed.
• May be asked to assist Cook and or Assistant Cook to fulfill kitchen duties, in any capacity.
• Responsible for complying with all local, state and federal standards regarding hygiene
• Attend all workshops and meetings as deemed necessary.
• Attend required staff and
parent meetings and activities.
• Responsible for gaining understanding Head Start Program
Performance Standards and local child care licensing regulations.
• Expected to be knowledgeable of the
regulations associated with prevention of occupational disease and injury, including the exercise of
universal precautions and the prevention of contamination.
• Positively promote Head Start in the
• Maintain strict confidentiality with respect to Head Start children, families and staff in
accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Become thoroughly familiar with Great
Northwest Employee Handbook, Great Northwest Head Start Human Resources Policies and Procedures,
manuals and resources and adhere to them.
Must be at minimum 18 years of age.
• Minimum high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must have a valid
• Certification as applicable by federal, state or local Head Start or child care
regulations, now or as amended in the future.
• Within 90 days of employment, must obtain and
continually maintain basic first aid and pediatric CPR certification (or sooner if required by local/state
• Knowledge of the basics of working with preschool-aged children.
• Ability to relate sensitively with children and to work well and communicate effectively with staff, parents and families.
• Ability to follow directions and take initiative.
• Ability to keep all information on families strictly
• Ability to work with children with disabilities.
• Ability to perform medium to heavy physical work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds frequently and up to 5-10 pounds constantly, performing such activities as sitting, crawling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and grasping. This also includes some duties that
require repetitive action and motion skills, keyboarding and computer use.
Acceptable tuberculosis screening results, a clear criminal records check (including child abuse registry
check as required by state regulations) and an initial health exam are required post job offer and prior to
employment. To drive agency vehicles (if applicable), must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable
by the Great Northwest Head Start insurance carrier and have a Motor Vehicle Record acceptable to
Great Northwest Head Start.
Current and former Head Start parents will receive preference for employment vacancies for which they
If interested in this position, please fill out the application below and send your resume to:
Great Northwest Education Cooperative Head Start
Amber Brannin, Administrative Assistant
PO Box 730
Williston, ND 58802